- Thoughts ARE things. (What you think about you bring about)
- We have 60,000 thoughts a day (80% are from Yesterday.)
- Reticular Activating System (RAS) of brain controls every stimulus / filters many.
- You get what you THINK about, AND what your THANK about.
- Fastest way OUT of depression / anxiety / worry / fear = Gratitude
- Two hour challenge for you at the end.
- Clark wants a Jeep… badly.
America. Land of the free and home of the people who love to complicate the hell outta’ everything. I say it everytime, but so many people are spending 95% of their time on things that make a 5% difference. We develop habits, and means of keeping ourselves busy to avoid what’s really important in life. Being busy does NOT equal being productive. Most of the time being busy is procrastination disguised.
So how to we flip it? How do we know what to spend time on? How can we find out what really matters and shif our time twoards doing that?
It’s so simple. We shift our thoughts.
Life Is… Simple?
The Secret: What you think about, you bring about.
Easier said than done, right?If that’s all there really is to life, why are 1 in 10 Americas suffering with severe depression? However many other important factors there are when it comes to mental health, one thing remains consistent: The all share a similar thought process.
The Real Problem: So many people are focusing on what they DON’T want.
Your 24/7 Filter: Reticular Activating System:
There’s a section in your brain that is called the “Reticular Activating System” (RAS). This RAS gets the lucky job of serving as your 24/7 thought filter. Each second we are bombarded with BILLIONS of stimuli.
For example: You don’t notice the conversations around you unless you focus on what they’re saying. You don’t notice the shirt touching your torso until I bring it up. You don’t realize how crammed into your toes until I…. You get the point.
Why This Matters:
Where am I going with all this RAS stuff? Perhaps the most important thing you can realize; your RAS DOES NOT distinguish between what’s good and what’s bad. All it knows is that whatever you give attention to = Important. This works for BOTH negative thoughts AND positive thoughts.
THOUGHTS ARE THINGS:
Here’s a video I made on the subject. This is quite literally my thoughts on… thoughts. :)
(Credit to Tony Robbins for the opening exercise)
Where To Go From Here:
Okay. So we know how important thoughts are. We know that we have over 60,000 a day. But how do we start controlling our thoughts and stop letting our thoughts control us? How do we take charge of all of our 60k thoughts?
The answer: Gratitude.
I would never share something unless I’ve applied it to my own life. I can tell you that the simplest things make the biggest difference. Something as simple as writing down what it is you’re grateful for makes such a massive impact. If you take on challenge #2 below, you’ll notice that throughout the day you start looking for everything that’s going right (you might need it for one of your 5 things later).
Put simply: you start to incline your mind for joy. You start to shape your thoughts. You start becoming a happier person.
ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE:
Ready for part two? Here’s a video That goes along with this topic. Developing the attitude of gratitude goes a long way, believe me. Developing a daily gratitude practice is hands down one of the most transformative things I’ve ever done. I KNOW it will be for you if you give it a shot!
MY CHALLENGE TO YOU:
I never like leaving you hanging. Here is a challenge I want you to take on (if you’re up to it). Choose one of the following (OR both if you’re a maniac):
1. TWO HOUR THOUGHT BOOT CAMP: For the next TWO hours try and shift back to having an attitude of gratitude. For the next TWO hours try to ONLY have positive thoughts. Each time a negative thought arises, dismiss it and return back to “happy things”.
2. GRATITUDE: Develop a daily gratitude practice. Get a journal or piece of paper. For the next WEEK write down FIVE things you are grateful for each day. They can be as big as someone picking up your check, or as small as someone saying “thank you”. It all works the same way so just do it.
I LOVE hearing from you guys. Post a comment below!
Which challenge are YOU going to take on? What are YOUR thoughts on thoughts?
That’s all I got guys.
Control your life and don’t let life control YOU!